Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Duke TIP Writing Contest

"What kinds of things do 6th graders generally not talk about?"
"Politics."
"What politics do 6th graders generally not know about?"
"Most politics."
When I was in 6th grade I took part in a Duke TIP writing contest in which we were challenged to write a letter to the president about an issue of our choice. I decided that I wanted to write President Obama about stem cell research.  I had to research everything and include a mix of lots of perspectives from all walks of life.
Because of that letter I started being interested in politics. That is despite the fact that when I wrote the letter my dad had to help me edit it because I was accidentally filibustering. Had that trend continued I might have become a Republican; instead I try to look at each issue holistically and am a conservative libertarian.
I won the contest. I got 250$ for myself and 250$ for my school, which was my household at the time, which was a pretty big deal back in 6th grade. I am pretty sure I used to the money to buy a Play Station 2 and some games.

No comments:

Post a Comment