Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Why Do Anything?

Why do we do anything? What is there to gain? Why do we want that?


Life consists of a million different potential experiences put together by the person living it. Their choices will either increase, decrease, or interchange their future potential experiences. The choices that they make are based on the things that they think matter. Potential gains are compared to potential losses and then the probability of success is evaluated and the decision is made. We do things because they matter to us.
Say I believe in a god who values family. That automatically means that I value family. Many situations in my life will conclude a certain way because of my belief and the transitive value that that implies. Now say I believe in the philosophy of "Money over everything." That would be a drastic change in how I went about living my life especially compared to a life based in religion.
The real reason why we do anything is because we want to matter. We assign value to practically everything except ourselves. The value that we find for ourselves is based on the value of the things that are in our lives. No matter what I believe I cannot matter unless things in my life matter to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment